Crock-Pot Short Rib Ragu becomes so ‘falling apart’ tender and tasty. This is a real family pleasing meal, served over penne, ziti, or spaghetti, any pasta will do!
Just four ingredients – short ribs, onion, carrot, and tomatoes combine with a sprig of herbs to make this ragu. There is just nothing simpler. That’s the hallmark of good food – simple & real – it always works.
The tender chunks of beef can be shredded and added back to the sauce, making a perfect ragu for pasta or noodles. I know one thing, men can’t resist a hearty beef dish like this. The best way to prepare it; remove the short ribs to a cutting board and skim the accumulated fat from the sauce with a large spoon or ladle. Then, shred the short ribs using two forks and return to the sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In batches, cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer ribs to a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat from skillet, and add onion and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft, 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup juice from tomatoes, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to slow cooker and add tomatoes, breaking them up as you go. Add herb sprigs; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH until meat is fork-tender, 6 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove herb sprigs and transfer meat to a cutting board. With a ladle or large spoon, skim fat from cooking liquid (you'll remove about 1 1/4 cups). With two forks, shred meat and return to cooking liquid.
- Serve immediately, or let cool in liquid and reheat over medium before serving.